January 25, 2022
The Rainbow Coalition for Refuge and the Centre for Newcomers would like to invite you to Surviving to Thriving: A National Gathering to enhance justice, equity and belonging of LGBTQI newcomers.
We envision three energizing days of diverse voices, opportunities to connect, share know-how and support. All with the aim of promoting better pathways to safety and responsive communities of belonging for all LGBTQI or SOGIESC newcomers arriving and settling in Canada. Your participation will contribute to the development of new tools, knowledge and practice guidelines for use across Canada.
Sessions will explore these themes:
- The Global Context of LGBTQI Human Rights, Protection and Persecution
- The drivers of forced displacement of LGBTQI and the implications for resettlement
- Promising practices for creating safe refuge and prepared arrival communities in Canada
- LGBTQI migration rights in Canada
- Promising practices for decolonizing settlement work, and working towards Indigenous solidarity and Anti-Racism
- Promising practices for building intersectional, anti-oppressive and trauma informed frameworks for assisting LGBTQI newcomers
- Advocacy, ethics and the legal context of LGBTQI resettlement
- Knowledge sharing in support of Toolkit and SOGIESC National Guidelines Development
Mode In Person
Location Calgary, AlbertaEvent Link National SOGIESC Gathering